This church is located in the Burg square near the Town Hall. It has two chapels. It has an ornate façade and has some small golden hued statues atop. It is a small chapel. The lower one is the St. Basil (a figure of the Greek church) chapel and a wide staircase leads to the first floor to the chapel of the Holy Blood. This dates back to the 12th century (circa 1139-1149) but was promoted to Basilica in 1923. The Basilius chapel in the lower part is in the Romanesque style. This is a comparatively darker and simple chapel than the one above it. It indeed looks very medieval!
Of this double chapel the main tourist attraction is the Chapel of the Holy Blood (Heilige Bloed Basiliek). It has been damaged twice – once in the 16th century and then in the 18th century, this time by the French Republicans, only to be rebuilt both times. It was originally built in the Romanesque style but when it was rebuilt it was completely changed into the gothic style. Later in 1823 more renovations were done. The mural decorations and much of the stained glass windows date to the renovations in the 19th century. The original stained glass windows were removed after the attack by French republicans. Some have landed up in museums in London. It’s beautiful inside – the paintings and the stained glass windows make it colorful. The rounded wooden carved pulpit placed much above the ground also draws one’s attention. What I found striking was the difference between the lower floor and the first floor. The lower part was so austere while the upper part was lot more decorated and ornate. CONTINUED IN PART 2
Bruges (Brugge), Belgium – An Introduction
How to get to Bruges (Brugge), Belgium – Transportation
Traveling within Bruges (Brugge), Belgium – Transport Information
The Markt (Market) Square-Bruges
Belfry (Belfort) of Bruges .
Church of Our Lady & Statue of Madonna and the Child – Part 1 ; Part 2
The Beguinage (Begijnhof) of Bruges