The Maison des Brasseurs at the Grand Place, was originally occupied by the Brewers Guild. Before the Maison des Brasseurs, the “Gulden den boom” or the “Golden Tree” was located there. The Brewers Guild which was founded in the 14h century. In the late 16th century they bought the house from the “Golden tree”. In the 1695 attack by the French, the Grand Place was bombed and much of the square destroyed.
The Brewers Guild financed the reconstruction of the building. It was designed by architect William De Bruyn. The man on horse statue on top was added in 1901. It is a beautiful architectural piece.
It is a copy of a 18th century work representing Charles of Lorraine, who was a benefactor of the corporation. The building is currently a national museum of the brewery. It is less than ten minutes from the Central Station and is easily accessible. Details of getting around in Brussels given here.