Updated – 29 Nov 2022
Hyde Park – This is a 350 acre park in Central London. One can easily reach there through the London Underground – at the Hyde Park Corner station on the Piccadilly line between Knightsbridge and Green Park. In the 16th century this area was a deer park and used for hunts. Henry VII had acquired this land in 1536. It was for Private use until James I gave limited access to the gentlefolk and later in 1637 Charles I opened it to the public. The Park is divided into two by the Serpentine Lake built in 1733 and designed by Charles Bridgeman. The memorial to Princess Diana is also in this park. Its timings are 10AM – 8PM (April-August), 10AM -7PM (September), 10AM – 6PM (March & October), 10AM – 4PM (Nov to Feb). It is closed for about 20 days in November for annual maintenance. A number of motion pictures have been filmed in this Park. These include “The Happy breed” (1944), Genevieve(1953), “A touch of class” (1973) etc.
The Park has a number of facilities. There is a playground, a lake, The Lookout where children can learn about nature and wildlife, toilets, restaurants and cafes. The Park is accessible to disabled individuals. For people who find it difficult to walk around the Park there are Electric buggies available. These give half an hour drives around with get on/get off facility.
The Park is open from 5 AM to Midnight throughout the year.
How to get to Hyde Park –
Tube: Lancaster gate & Marble Arch on the Central Line. Hyde Park Corner & Knightsbridge on the Piccadilly Line.
Bus : Numbers 6, 7, 10, 16, 52, 73, 82, 390, 414 (from North London); Numbers 8, 15, 30, 38, 274 (from East); Numbers 2, 36, 137, 436 (from South); Numbers 9, 10, 14, 19, 22, 52, 74, 148, 414 (from West).
Car : Pay and Display parking on West Carriage Drive and in Car Parks at either end of Serpentine Bridge. But available parking space is limited.
Contact: The Park Office, Rangers Lodge, Hyde Park, London. W2 2UH, Tele. +44 (0)20 7298 2100, Fax. +44 (0)20 7402 3298
Contacting Police: In an emergency phone 999, A non-emergency within the Royal Parks call 020 7706 7272
There is also an official journey/trip planner.
History of Hyde Park, London
Located in Westminster, London, Hyde Park is one of the most famous public parks in Britain. Its 340 acres have been the site of a number of important events. It is also the home of important war memorials.
Hyde Park was originally used as a royal hunting preserve. In the 11th century, Geoffrey de Mandeville bequeathed part of the park to the church. In the 17th century, the park was opened to the public. During the 18th century, it was renovated by Queen Caroline. In the mid-1800s, it became the site of many political rallies and public speeches. It was also used as a rallying point for protest marches.
The earliest statue in Hyde Park was installed by the Ladies of England, a patriotic upper class group. The statue is an 18-foot-tall figure of Achilles. It was modeled after a Roman figure on Monte Cavallo in Italy. It is made of 33 tonnes of bronze. In addition, the statue is also said to be based on the head of Arthur Wellesley, the first Duke of Wellington. The statue was unveiled in June 1822.
In the late 19th century, the Reform League held a number of protests in Hyde Park. The protests grew into large demonstrations that attracted up to 150,000 people. The demonstrations were organized under the slogan, “We must gather to defeat oppression.” The protests ended in violence when the government tried to shut down the protestors. This led to the passing of the Parks Regulation Act, which gave individuals the right to speak freely in Hyde Park.
The Parks Regulation Act also made it illegal for individuals to use obscene language in public parks, and Hyde Park became a popular venue for these protests. In the mid-1800s, the government designated Speakers’ Corner as a public speech site. It is located near Marble Arch, a traffic island in the middle of the park. Speakers’ Corner became a popular venue for public speech and demonstrations.
In 1868, protests drew up to 150,000 people. The protests also caused the resignation of the Home Secretary, as well as many other cabinet ministers. The park was also the site of many free rock concerts during the late 20th century.
In the 21st century, Hyde Park hosted several major events. It hosted a triathlon and open water swimming event in 2012, and the Olympic Park hosted a 10 km open water swimming event in 2014. It has also hosted a number of concerts, including Queen, The Rolling Stones, and Pavarotti.
Hyde Park has also been the site of major protests, including the Stop the War Coalition’s rally in 2003. A group of suffragettes also held protests in Hyde Park. In 2000, politician Tony Benn unveiled a mosaic that commemorated the history of the site. It is also the site of the Diana Memorial Fountain. This fountain was opened by Her Majesty the Queen on 6 July 2004.
The park has also served as the setting for a number of movies. It was featured in the Victorian murder mystery, “Anne Perry’s Victorian Murder Mystery.” The park is also the backdrop for the TV series “The Face of Evil,” which features a character named “The Doctor.”